Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Mammy

I remember when I was in elementary school, I use to watch all the old cartoons that were created way before I was born. I loved them, I found them entertaining, Bugs Bunny, Dumbo, Mickey Mouse, all of them. Last school year I found all those cartoons on YouTube, and what shocked me was that I did not realize how racist a lot of them are, when I was little. I never saw it as racist when I was little, I saw the dumb white hunter from bugs bunny exactly same way I saw the dumb African American hunter. I think the reason why I see those things as racist is because I have been taught to. When I hear someone say, "the Dumb Blond man" I think nothing of it, but when someone says, "The Dumb African American man" I immediately judge that person as racist. Off course I realize those cartoons were racists and were meant to make fun of the various non-Caucasian races.

Black face appears in a lot of the cartoons. Bugs Bunny even goes in Black face several times. People enjoyed it, and were fascinated by this form of entertainment. Even Mark Twain called it "the genuine nigger show, the extravagant nigger show." But Mark Twain does see African Americans as humans. He shows this with his character Jim. Even though Jim has a lot of stereotypical characteristics, he is also shown to be smart, think on his own, and a good friend to Huck Finn.
White people saw nothing wrong with Black Face; they enjoyed the imitation of "black man" dance and singing. But this is not because they were ignorant or blind to racism; they were purely racist and making fun of blacks. This is clearly seen by Court, a white man who posed as Jim for Mark Twains book, "he would jam his little black wool cap over his head, shoot out his lips and mumble coon talk.’ And when I look at Kemble's representations of Jim, I don't see a human being, but this same caricature. "

Yes people were racist, but even Mark Twain, a man who was entertained by Black Face, saw that racism was wrong, and that African Americans were equal to Whites. Huckleberry goes through the same transformation were he realizes that 'Jim is a Black man who has the mind of a white man' therefore showing we are the same.
http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/railton/huckfinn/minstrl.html

No comments:

Post a Comment