Saturday, February 12, 2011

Finding Voices in Act 2

**note, video is only a recording, there are no images***

So I began reading Act two silently, in my head, when for some bizarre reason I thought it would be better if I read the play out loud to myself. I mean, it is a play isn't it? Your suppose to watch it. But the way I was reading it was very monotone and boring, all the characters sounded exactly the same. If a the play is a mimesis, then they all sound different and have different personalities, right? So I started from the beginning, a third time, and read each character differently. Then I got curious, what do I sound like doing these characters? Couldn't I give myself a performance? So then I recorded it. Listening back to it I could find what characters I felt I understood more and what characters I was still trying to understand. Most of the female characters I felt was easy (for obvious reasons) but doing male characters, and of different ages and personalities, was hard. I was almost embaressed to do the male characters, at one point I had to do a section again because I thought Petyr was an old man! Probably the hardest part of reading all the characters is that I can't get a good fix on personality, or stick to one role. Also, It's my first time reading this play, so trying to find the emotions the character was feeling was difficult. Alot of guessing, but after reading the act several times, and listening to myself as I edited the video, I feel that I understand the scenes alot more.

[will have an edit to discuss what I think of each character]

1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea. I'd like to see how your reading of the play ended.

    ReplyDelete