Monday, September 6, 2010

My Soul Shall Be Lifted- Nevermore

( PS: I DID NOT LOOK AT THE COMIC RELIEF LINK BEFORE TYPING THIS BLOG. THE VIDEO I POSTED IS A SIMPLE COINCIDENCE)


The Poem, "The Raven", by Edgar Allan is a poem of darkness and whispers of death, which may take the modern reader several read through and analysis to understand. The poem deals with several characters: the narrator, Lenore, and the raven. From the poem we can assume different things about each character.


Lenore: By reading the text, we can assume that she is the narrator’s lover. She is "lost" and is dead, which is perhaps why the author write, "For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name Lenore."
The rest of the poem deals with the narrator and how frightened he is about what is happening around him, “And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor", this sets the mood for what is happening. He is afraid of the mysterious tapping and noises.
The poem reflects how most people would react to a frightening situation. We are frightened, and they we try to convince ourselves that it is not scary one bit, for example while watching horror movies, "So that now, to still the beating of my heart, I stood repeating “’Tis some visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door— Some late visiter entreating entrance at my chamber door;— This it is and nothing more.” At this point we can predict what will happen: what the narrator dreaded most will occur and it will be his end. The narrator continues to push away how scared he is:
"Sir,” said I, “or Madam, truly your forgiveness I implore;
But the fact is I was napping, and so gently you came rapping,
And so faintly you came tapping, tapping at my chamber door,
That I scarce was sure I heard you”
It is at this point where he hear a version of the repeated words, "I opened wide the door;—
Darkness there and nothing more. "
When the raven first appears, the narrator just views it as a normal bird and attempts to get rid of it. But it only mutters "nevermore". What does the raven mean by this? Perhaps the raven is a symbol and signifies death. Could the narrator be dying? Was death knocking than flying through the door? Perhaps it comes to remind him of the death of lenore and that he will never see her again "nevermore". The raven is a symbol for the end of his life, it can be physically or emotionally, "nevermore". The raven sits at the top of his chamber door and is described as "demon eyed", a creature that never stops staring.
The "perfume" the narrator smells is another sign for death. The perfume is actually incense, which is used when people die. The raven sits at the top of his chamber, and since the man cannot leave his chamber anymore (nevermore) it is as if he is sealed inside a tomb. He is dead, and he and his soul will live "nevermore."

"And the Raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting

On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;

And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming,

And the lamplight o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;

And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor

Shall be lifted - nevermore."

(My favorite reading)



No comments:

Post a Comment