Tuesday, September 28, 2010

To Dream, Or Not To Dream?

Watching the Introduction to Hamlet, by Kenneth Branagh, was like my emotions taking a time machine back to the emotions I held each time I watched a trailer for a new Disney movie when I was smaller. I have never watched or really known the story of Hamlet, just like I never really knew who Mulan was untill I watched the Disney version(although most films tend to be only semi accurate).

The Introduction produced an excitement that most happy, up beat Disney Trailers created for me. It was colorful, there was adventure, there were great lines shot out at us, and there was romance.

It was especially Kenneths overall excitement of the play which has now interested me in Hamlet. He said he has been intrigued by this peice of work ever since he was 11, and has portrayed the character Hamlet himself, several times. It appears that Hamlet is a character who can be discovered time and time again.

What do I expect from Hamlet? Well, hopefull a new wonderful experience on the learning curve of Highschool. Hopefully this will be a more positive play. So far I have only read three of Shakesperes plays, and they all depressed me: Macbeth, Othello, and Romeo and Julliet. Supposedly, Hamlet is one of the most challenging and most exciting characters for a male actor to portray. That makes me wonder, what is the most exciting female part to portray?


And now for a little entertainment:




Rehersing our own version of Hamlet in class? Oh dear, I better start studying!

No comments:

Post a Comment