Friday, November 12, 2010

Elizabeths Thoughts After The Dance



I have just come back from quite a delightfull ball. The dances were perfect, the music alive, and the air cheerful. I have nver seen so many fine dresses in my life! The only fault in the ball was the lack of men. The young, wealthy Mr.Bingley came with two of his sisters, the husband of the eldest, and another handsome young man. I must say, Mr. Bingley is quite the gentleman. His sisters are fine women, and they came in the best dresses.

At first everyone was impressed by the presence of the young man Mr.Darcy. He was viewed as a fine figure of a man, but unfortunately to everyones disgust, it was found that he is proud, and unworthy to be compared to such a nice man as Mr.Bingley. What a rude man, you won't believe what he said about me.

I sat down most of the time, since there were few men to dance with, yet I am pleased to know that Cathernine and Lydia had a partner the entire time. As I minded my own buisness, I overheard a conversation bettween Mr.Darcy and Mr. Bingley. What rude words I heard come out of the mouth of Mr.Darcy! Mr.Bingley was in the company of his so called good friend, trying to persuade him to dance. I don't know how Mr.Bingley can stand such a man! They are nothing alike! Mr.Darcy said that Mr.Bingley was dancing with the only handsome woman in the room (my sister) and when Mr.Bingley suggested he dance with me he merely said,"she is tolerable; but not handsome enough to tempt me." Right then and there, all the money in his vast fortune could never let me forgive him for saying such a thing.
I am happy Jane was highly admired by Mr.Bingley and the Netherfield party in general. I suspected Mr.Bingley would ask her to dance twice. She offcourse didn't expect it, she rarely thinks highly of herself. I love how she always looks for the good in people, and never judges them based on appearance. Mr.Darcy could deffinitely learn alot from her!
.... Who does he think he is anyways?????





**Note: Must use Darcy story as a conversation starter with my friend Charlotte.


3 comments:

  1. Annamaria! I like how you changed the narrator of the story from third person to first person as Elizabeth, nice idea. You could take into account more Elizabeth’s point of view and thoughts about what is happening. For example, she does like Mr. Bingley’s sisters and she is not so fond of fine dresses and materialism. Her reaction to the conversation that she overheard of Mr. Bingley and Mr. Darcy is curiosity and interest in some way in Mr. Darcy’s thoughts and why his opinion of her is that one. This conversation is key in her attraction to him. Elizabeth is a little more judgy and harshly critical. Maybe you could revise your entry with that in mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You For The Advice Mariana! I will make a second entry of this blog with the points you have given. Thank you, this was very helpful, I wasn't very sure how I wanted to voice her character. Thanks

    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your idea of putting an event from the book into Lizzie's words. While reading it I wasn't sure if it all was in alignment with what LIzzie might have said though. I agree with Mariana that Elizabeth does not seem so materialistic to be specifically mentioning all of the finery at the ball. Also, although Lizzie seems to enjoy the company of men, she also seems perfectly well off without one of her own. I kind of felt a little like in your passage, Lizzie sounded a little more like her mother, or one of her two younger sisters, in her commentary on the ball. Overall, I really like the idea - great way to mix up the analysis of the book!

    ReplyDelete