Monday, November 1, 2010

I Have Never Seen You Before

Dreams? What do Dreams have to do with Hamlet? How about childhood? Does childhood explain to us what happens in Shakesperes play Hamlet? Thats what Freud seems to think.

Is Hamlet ever naked in his dream? Does he dream of the death of a loved one? I don't think he ever dreams of a loved one dying, but it does happen to him in real life. Freud describes the play as the following :
"The play is based upon Hamlet's hesitation in accomplishing the task of revenge assigned to him; the text does not give the cause or the motive of this hesitation, nor have the manifold attempts at interpretation succeeded in doing so."

I don't really understand what I read, and perhaps I need to read it a few times more. But several things interested me. Why are there strangers in our dreams?Why do they appear to have "stiff and solem espressions"? Do they react to our feelings? We are told that our dreams are reactions to our childhood, but could it also be a reaction to whats happening to us in the present? The dreams are the dreamer's feelings. The dreamer's feelings control "the strangers" depending on thier feelings the strangers can "look at him in astonishment," or "Laugh at him, or be outraged."

I do not know enough to entirely judge Freud. But perhpas our dreams really are just children pirate games.

No comments:

Post a Comment